1. Cornell Related
- Cornell receives $280K to give as fellowships to students studying agriculture by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Wings over Ithaca has re-opened under new management in Collegetown. It was previously closed in October 2016 after its owner was charged with 26 counts of tax evasion.
- Markets are holding their breath as the vote on the healthcare bill is expected to have profound effects on the broader markets.
- Analysts have found markets are proving to be more resilient following terrorist attacks as there was barely any movement following the terror attacks in London. In the past, investors have been quick to dump stocks and move money to more stable investments following such tragedies.
- Major cities are under high alert and tightened security measures as Great Britain recovers from a terrorist attack that left 4 dead and many more injured.
- It was announced this week that British Prime Minister, Theresa May, will officially declare to the European Union that the UK will be leaving the EU, with full effects of Brexit estimated to occur in 2019.
- Computer Scientist and A.I. researcher Andrew Ng leaves role as chief scientist at Chinese internet company Baidu.
- A hacker who stole more than $39 million from the Kenya Revenue Authority has been caught.
- The Republican push to repeal Obamacare failed Friday, after a minority group of Republicans unsatisfied with the changes voted to repeal the controversial Affordable Care Act.
- Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, has ordered heavier scrutiny of Visa applicants in addition to rejecting anyone who presents “security concerns.”